[CentOS] yum repository conflict resolutions

Dave

dmehler26 at woh.rr.com
Tue Mar 28 05:59:43 UTC 2006

Hello,
    I'm setting up a test mailserver on centos4. I want to use stable rpm
packages but ones that don't have conflicting lib requirements. I've got the
standard yum configuration with one excdeption i've enabled the centosplus
yum repository. I've read that dag's repository has a package i'm going to
need courier so i figured to set that up. Here's my problem, if i then do a
yum update on this box and more than one repository has a package say kernel
which does it get? Or, if a package has a library dependency and that is
installed and it conflicts with another, how would this be resolved? Sorry
about the confusion any help appreciated.
    I'm also going to possibly have a need to roll out custom-made rpms not
sure yet on that one, and it's been a while since i did them, rh7 i think
was the last time. Does anyone have a Centos-specific howto on this not for
modifying an existing srpm, but for creating an rpm from tarball?
Thanks.
Dave.