[CentOS] yum repository conflict resolutions

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Mar 28 12:04:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 00:59 -0500, Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>     I'm setting up a test mailserver on centos4. I want to use stable rpm
> packages but ones that don't have conflicting lib requirements. I've got the
> standard yum configuration with one excdeption i've enabled the centosplus
> yum repository. I've read that dag's repository has a package i'm going to
> need courier so i figured to set that up. Here's my problem, if i then do a
> yum update on this box and more than one repository has a package say kernel
> which does it get? Or, if a package has a library dependency and that is
> installed and it conflicts with another, how would this be resolved? Sorry
> about the confusion any help appreciated.
>     I'm also going to possibly have a need to roll out custom-made rpms not
> sure yet on that one, and it's been a while since i did them, rh7 i think
> was the last time. Does anyone have a Centos-specific howto on this not for
> modifying an existing srpm, but for creating an rpm from tarball?
> Thanks.
> Dave.
----
you can have the repositories installed and disabled - the same way that
centosplus is typically configured... 'enabled=0' which means that yum
update won't pull packages from them but a single line yum command
can...

yum enablerepo=dag install package
yum enablerepo=centos install package

if there are additional packages necessary that aren't supplied by the
base centos repo, it will tell you - and it's likely that the
dependencies would also be satisfied by the same repo.

This should prevent any conflicts but I can assure you that using dag's
repository enabled all the time, I have yet to run into conflicts. Dag
does replace a few packages (mostly perl stuff) from the upstream and
hence from centos base.

As for rolling rpms from tarballs...nothing has changed except that the
command is now rpmbuild -tb ... - man rpmbuild

Craig