[CentOS] OT Clarkconnect Firewall/Router updates

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Wed Mar 29 02:39:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 16:18 -0500, Franklin S Werren wrote:
> Why not use  http://www.ipcop.org/
> I know it does not use the latest OS
> but why re-invent the wheel....
>
> It has all sorts of goodies like Open VPN
> and other plugins available.....
>
> I am using it and it ROCKS!!!!!

Me too, so that's 2 rocks. Well, 1 and 1/2 since you top-posted. :-(
Runs fine on very old minimal eqpt. I have it on an AMD 5x86 (486 in a
386 socket) 100MHz, 3 3Com 3C509 (half duplex unfortunately) 32MB DRAM
(remember what that is?) and junk Champ 1GB old slow drives.

Through my cable modem, *effective* ultimate throughput of 583MB/sec
from decent sites. gkrellm shows 617Mb or better on my target.

Don't laugh though, I have it on a much more powerful node too: 200MHz
586 with some better 100BaseT cards, etc. Haven't measured that one yet.
I suspect the cable modem is about to become the bottleneck, unless one
of my 1000BaseT cards sucking on it would help. But I'll replace that
586 with my wife's old Aptiva (66MHz 486) so I can use that power where
it's really needed.

Install w/bootable CD, boot from floppy (image on CD as if El Torito
spec CD, might boot on systems supporting that spec too?) and can
install from network if you make drivers disk w/your net card included.

> Franklin S. Werren webmaster at bagpipes.net

Bill