[CentOS] Method for autoinstalling new updates at install time(or very near to it)

Alex Laslavic (Lenox) Alex.Laslavic at worldtravel.com
Wed Mar 29 16:40:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 10:26 -0500, Jay Lee wrote:
> I have CentOS 4.3 as well as RHEL4u3 and FC5 setup on my PXE/HTTP Server
> automating the install process.  However, I'd also like to apply any
> post update RPMS during installation also.  Is there any easy method to
> do this with out having to recreate the hdlist and other installation
> files?  My desire would be to have a updates directory that I can put
> packages into and CentOS would check to see if a newer version of the
> RPM exists in /updates.  Any thoughts?

Anaconda seems to exclusively build off of the hdlist, so you would have
to rebuild it if you want to come out of the anaconda install with a
fully patched system.  I do this for Centos4 with no major problems.  If
you like, I can send you the commands that you need to run to do this.

I actually keep a full package respository locally for Centos, and
nightly pull down all the updates, and rebuild the hdlist, and yum
headers.  When I build servers, I use kickstart off of my own
repository.  0 -> fully patched centos4 server in 5 - 10 minutes,
depending on what is installed =).  I then keep servers updated with
yum, off of the same repository.

> My goal is to get away from the need to download 200+  megabytes of
> updates after each install.  I know I could setup my own yum updates
> server and  then point each new install at that instead of the mirrors
> but I wanted something slightly more automated.  Can anyone else tell me
> how their doing this?

If you use kickstart, you can always add a yum -y update in the %post
section. You'd still have to download 200MB of data, but at least it
would be part of the build.