[CentOS] network monitoring systems

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 17:55:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 08:33, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> > I use Argus for monitoring and alerting: http://argus.tcp4me.com
> > ...Initially I was almost going to write a full essay about how
> > much and why I like it :)
>
> I'm using bigsister at the moment. Argus looks similar and not similar. I
> may want to try it out. How does it remote monitoring? Only by SNMP or is
> there an agent application available (short glimpse over the documentation
> doesn't reveal one)? I'm not familiar with SNMP at all, so it's not an
> option for me.

I've also had 'spong' http://spong.sourceforge.net/ running for
close to 10 years and it still works great although some of
the others may be easier to set up.  It doesn't have SNMP at
all but does network probes from a central location and has
an optional local agent for additional information.  A nice
touch is that it has a message throttling mechanism where you
can have it notify you about problems but limit both the
number of times for any particular notification and the number
of total notifications it will send.  If the machine doing
the probing looses network connectivity for a while it won't
page you thousands of times.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com