[CentOS] Using long usernames with dots in LDAP

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 31 20:13:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 14:53 -0400, Oliver Schulze L. wrote:
> Hi,
> I have configured openldap on CentOS 4.3, all my users are in ldap.
> I also configure idx-smbtools for managing the users.
>
> The test I'm doing is creating long usernames like this:
> this.is.avery.long.username
>
> All is working fine:
> sendmail, dovecot, idx-smbldap-tools, ceti-poppassd, chown
>
> My question is, I'm breaking some standards? Or breaking some
> posix specification by doing this?
> It is recomended to have this kind of usernames on Linux?

----
actually, I'm surprised that you didn't notice a burp when you used
chown command as the Red Hat tools will use a dot as a separator.

i.e.

chown craig.dom_users /path/to/file
chown craig:dom_users /path/to/file

are functionally the same thing but just because it doesn't toss an
error the first time you
  chown this.is.a.very.long.username /somefile
doesn't mean that it actually worked. If you did
  "chown this.is.a.very.long.username" /somefile
it probably would work

I would suggest that you keep testing for adequacy.

Craig