[CentOS] wired network switch to wireless if not active

Wed Mar 1 13:47:42 UTC 2006
Bob Chiodini <robert.chiodini-1 at ksc.nasa.gov>

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 17:18 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
> All,
>
> I am wondering how one PC with a wired and wireless connection
> can have the wired IP active as long as there is a connection then if
> the
> wired connection goes away to then automatically,  go wireless, then
> if wired comes back alive go back to wired.
>
> Is that kind of setup possible, if so how.
>
> This unit is always on - I just want whichever network is active and
> faster to be the active connection. The IP addresses for wired would
> 192.168.1.10
> and wireless 192.168.1.20. GW is 192.168.1.1.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry

Jerry,

I thought this could be handled through the metric option to the route
command, but now I'm not so sure.  My test config was a little different
than you proposed.  My wireless is not on the same subnet as my wired.

Anyway, you might take a look at ifplugd.

Bob...