[CentOS] Re: suslog alternate log file

Thu Mar 9 16:51:15 UTC 2006
Dave <wintermutecx at gmail.com>

On 2/27/06, Lance Davis <lance at uklinux.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Keith Morse wrote:
>
> > Dave wrote:
> > > I have a cisco router sending syslog messages to a linux server. I've
> > > been looking around on how to log those into a separate file and I've
> > > run across using local7 in various howtos. It looks like you can have
> > > 8 different local log settings, but I can't seem to find any docs on
> > > how to set those up. Anyone have a howto on that?
> > >

> > My best suggestion is to take a look at syslog-ng for parsing this out.
> > Takes a bit to get the syntax right but well worth it.
>
> The syslog that comes with CentOS is quite capable of dealing with local7
>
> try man syslog.conf
>
> something as simple as :-
>
> local7.*                                                /var/log/cisco.log
>
> Should do the trick.
>
> Also you have to make sure that the server is setup to receive remote
> syslog - you need to add a -r switch in /etc/sysconfig/syslog (it is
> documented in there ) , restart syslog,  and make
> sure that port 514 udp is accessible to the host that is logging.

Sorry about the delay, only two techs here of which one is my boss.

It looks like /etc/syslog.conf already has a local7 defined. It's
using it for the boot messages. I did take a look at the man pages,
but I only saw a reference that local0 - 7 can be logged. I'm not
exactly sure what or how to set up those local logs. What, who and
where is local7 or any of the locals defined?