[CentOS] [OT maybe] netcafe firewall

Mon Mar 20 11:33:36 UTC 2006
Alexandru E. Ungur <alexandru at globalterrasoft.ro>

Hi all,

I appologise in advance if this is a little OT, but I am building
a box that will serve as firewall and router for a small 'internet
cafe / netcafe' and am using CentOS...

So here it is:
What are the best tools to be used for keeping the potential
script kiddies from 'harming the Internet' :) ? I specifically want
to be able to detect and prevent portscans from LAN to Internet, and
any other malware activity the clients might think of.

I am particularily interested in 'the CentOS way'. For example I
know there is psd module in patch-o-matic for iptables to be able
to do the portscan detection in firewall... but, that doesen't
feel like 'CentOS way' (because I have to build a cusom kernel)
unless there is some kernel (even 3rd part, unsuported/etc.) that
already has this in...

Also I know of the portsentry tool, but the project seems pretty much
dead after Cisco bought Psyonic... and again is not on up2date's list...

I intend to use Snort, though I hope that it won't share portsentry's
fate and become extinct after Check Point's acquisition of Sourcefire
will be completed. No FUD intended on this, optimistic views are always
highly welcomed :)

Luckily denyhosts has no plans of selling itself to anyone so that's
one project I can safely use :)

So, Open Source portscaner for CentOS... anyone... ? :)

Thank you for your time and help,

With respect,
Alex