[CentOS] Reliable Athlon 64 motherboards

Tue Mar 21 15:50:37 UTC 2006
Jeremy Sanders <jss at ast.cam.ac.uk>

Hi - We're looking for a reliable Athlon 64 motherboard. Hopefully this
will support 4600+ (dual core) processors, SATA, and hopefully gigabit
networking. Reliability is the key.

We've tried using an MSI K8NGM2-FID, based on the nforce chipset. This
works fine and the gigabit forcedeth appears reliable with the latest
kernel update. However it oopses every few days for no apparent reason.

We've also tried an Asus A8V-E SE (VIA chipset), but this appears
terrible. The sky2 driver works (with the latest kernel update for 4.2, or
the jwl test kernels), but then hangs after an hour or two of transferring
data. We then tried a tg3 network card and an e1000, and this corrupts the
data transferred between it and another computer. Maybe it is the SATA
corrupting the data, but who knows. No obvious errors in the logs except
for lost ticks. Tried non-SMP, 32 bit, noapic, acpi=off. No luck.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable board? Otherwise we have
to buy Intel and get the speed loss...

Many thanks

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jss at ast.cam.ac.uk>   http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/
X-Ray Group, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, UK.