[CentOS] Load Average

Wed Mar 1 18:45:40 UTC 2006
Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org>

You need to check out whether the system is waiting on  IO,  on the
version of top on Centos 4.2 it doesn't show IO wait on the display, but
on the RH enterprise shipping version it does.

A load average of 9 is getting high, you expect would services like
sendmail to stop listening once the system load average gets to 12.

You could check your disk performance with hdparm -t /dev/....  to see
if your disks are giving you high through put.  If DMA is not enabled on
the disks, this can slow the system performance down and raise the load
average.

P.