[CentOS] Load Average

Wed Mar 1 22:22:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 16:34 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 March 2006 13:45, Peter Farrow wrote:
> > You need to check out whether the system is waiting on  IO,  on the
> > version of top on Centos 4.2 it doesn't show IO wait on the display, but
> > on the RH enterprise shipping version it does.
>
> > A load average of 9 is getting high, you expect would services like
> > sendmail to stop listening once the system load average gets to 12.
I generally try to keep max load to no more than 2 - 2.5 times the
number of processors in the machine ... so that is 8-10 for a quad
processor machine ... 4-5 for a dual processor and 2-3 for a single
processor machine.

That assumes that there is actual IO and load on the processes and not a
high load number with lots of idle time.  So, those numbers and ~100%
CPU utilization is what I shoot for as maximums.

I'm sure other people have different goal numbers.