[CentOS] Apache ModRewrite

Thu Mar 2 15:01:58 UTC 2006
John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 02:33 -0500, John Hinton wrote:
>
>> Does anybody happen to know if 'for sure' the order in which you list
>> modrewrite rules is the order in which they are processed within a
>> .htaccess file? It does work, but I want to know that it always works.
>>
>> Basically, I have some multiple wildcard rules, where directories can't
>> be hard coded and as it goes deeper into the directories, the more
>> shallow levels interfere with the deeper levels.
>>

> We just did some modrewrite rules for centos related to ISOs and it
> seems to me that the rules are processed in order ... so if you do the
> deepest stuff first, then the shallow stuff after, it should work.
>
> At least it did for me ... I am not an expert on this by any means
> though :)

modrewrite is voodoo anyway! Whew! Well, it seems to me that apache has
up until now reliably read the conf files in order. And, yes what I did,
deeper first shallow last, is working, but darned if I can find anywhere
that states it works this way. This is why I posted to CentOS, because I
suppose a different OS could perhaps cache portions of the data and
maybe get the order reversed.

Thanks for the response. I don't recall spending what amounted to about
10 hours to add 14 characters to an obvious string. Pretty expensive
characters for the client (actually, mostly for me as I can't really
bill for learn time). Then again, my regex knowledge isn't that great,
but it is a whole lot better at the end of that 10 hours! ;)

Thanks,
John Hinton