[CentOS] How to create user with period (.)

Fri Mar 3 02:36:13 UTC 2006
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

On Thursday 02 March 2006 05:30, Zeb Fletcher wrote:
> As mentioned earlier you might run in to issues with programs have problems
> with the special character. If your wanting to be able to do e-mail from
> your box and have a dot in the name then create the entry in the alisas
> file.

As an example of this:

Assume user b.jones, group "usergroup", and you want to change the ownership
of file foo

chown b.jones.usergroup foo

You can use colon, but dot is still legal, and many scripts use the dot. From
the man page:

       If the user name is
       followed by a colon or dot and a group name (or numeric group ID), with
       no  spaces between them, the group ownership of the files is changed as
       well.

Why would you feel you *need* a username with a dot in it?