[CentOS] file command returns incorrect MIME type?

Sat Mar 4 06:36:46 UTC 2006
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

On Friday 03 March 2006 16:33, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> > Here's the problem:
> >
> > [ben at kepler tmp]# file -i presentation.ppt
> > presentation.ppt: application/msword
>
> Excerpt from /usr/share/magic.mime:

-- SNIP --

> The middle one of those matches the first six bytes of a powerpoint
> file.  Whether it also might match the first six bytes of some msword
> documents, I don't know.

It seems to match *any* document type. I've gotten in touch with the developer
of the Canadian who maintains the "file" command (it's Christos) and he's
asked for the first few thousand bytes of the file, which I've sent.

Looks like the resolution of this sits outside the CentOS mailing list.

-Ben
- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978

believed to be clean.