[CentOS] the future of CentOS

Mon Mar 6 08:32:37 UTC 2006
Joseph Haig <joseph.haig at supanet.net.uk>

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 20:14 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>

>>Once upon a time Friday 03 March 2006 8:08 pm, Alain Reguera wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I've been reading the CentOS's FAQs, and saw this:
>>>How long will CentOS-4 updates be supported?
>>>We intend to support CentOS-4 updates until Feb 29, 2012.
>>>
>>>Would someone tell me what will happen after that?
>>>

>>you upgrade to a newer version
>>

>Correct ...
>
>That is when the upstream provider stops doing updates ... so we also
>stop doing updates as well.
>
>The entire CentOS-4 distro would then move to the vault
>(http://vault.centos.org)
>
>By that time ... in 6 years ... there should be a CentOS-5 and CentOS-6
>and CentOS-7 active (based on an 18 month release cycle ... that is
>dependent upon the upstream provider).

Regarding this, I know that CentOS 4 corresponds to RHEL 4 and CentOS 5
will correspond to RHEL 5, etc, but what do the minor version mean?  As
far as I am aware, there is no RHEL 4.0, 4.1 or 4.2.  Also, you mention
that the release cycle is 18 months.  When does that put the scheduled
release for version 5?