[CentOS] Moving files to new server

Tue Mar 7 17:47:17 UTC 2006
David Johnston <david at littlebald.com>

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 13:24 -0500, Thomas E Dukes wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 09:20, Thomas E Dukes wrote:
> > > The old system has been upgraded numerous times since RedHat 8.0.
> > Version-level upgrades are always a bad idea because they can
> > leave old stuff around.  I'd recommend taking this
> > opportunity to clean things up with a fresh install and only
> > copy over the contents of the home directories and any ftp or
> > web sites that might be set up.
> I think you are right about the fresh install.  This machine has been
> upgraded numerous times and I have the opportunity to clean things up.  My
> biggest concerns are the users, home directories and mysql dbs.

When you copy your home directory to the new machine, copy it
to /home/thomas/old instead of /home/thomas.  This way, you will keep
copies of everything, but it won't be in the way of newer programs.
Some programs don't behave well when old configuration files are left
lying around in /home/thomas.  Poor behavior can range from minor (you
never see the new abilities of the program) to really bad (trashes
files).

-David