[CentOS] Help with installing on Supermicro X6DHT-G server Marvell H2 SATA

Sat Mar 11 14:33:14 UTC 2006
Chris Mason (Lists) <lists at masonc.com>

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> I would strongly recommend *not* using that SATA controller at all.
> Your problems with it aren't going to end once you get the install
> done.  The driver from SuperMicro is not going to track the vendor
> kernel closely at all, so you'll be forced to not install kernel
> updates.
As it is an internal server with the sole purpose of serving
non-critical files, there won't be much need to update the kernel.

> Also, given that the driver isn't in the kernel, its performance and
> stability are unknown.
I'll do some testing.

> On my compute nodes with SM boards, I just threw a 3ware 8006-2 in
> each and a single drive.  On my servers, I used the same controller
> and a pair of 74GB WD Raptors as a hardware RAID1.  The 3w-xxxx driver
> is rock solid and has been in the kernel for a long while.
I ordered a 3ware with the server, they forgot to ship it. I may still

> What controller are you using for the 4 drive RAID array?  Would it be
> possible to boot off that?
They are on the same Marvell interface.

--
Chris Mason