[CentOS] Centosplus & CentOS Extras, Enlarge your tent

Sat Mar 11 15:08:27 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 08:54 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 05:57 -0800, Jim Smith wrote:
> > I think Jim (the other one) is doing a marvellous job with extras and
> > plus but he needs to expand the size of his tent. A sensible package
> > policy in extras/plus repo will mean fewer temptations to install 3rd
> >  party repo's that can break your system. Some of the packages i
> > would like to see are :-
> >

> firstly, we work in conjuction with dag, dries, and kbs-CentOS-xxxx
>
> The only things that are already in there which go into our extras will
> be things that they don't have (or things we need to use from there to
> complete our dependencies).
>
> > - MySQL 5 rpms
> (already in our testing repo)
>

> > - php 5 rpms (already provided)
>
> > - Open Office 2.0 rpms
> (this is too hard to build and requires things we don't want to install
> on CentOS build machines ... but the OpenOffice website has RPMS that
> work OK)
>
> > - webmin
> > - rkhunter
> > - chkrootkit
> > - tripwire
> (all or most of these are in dag)
>
> > - Adobe, Realplayer & Java plugins (though licensing might be a
> > hindrance)
> (as Craig pointed out, we can't due to licensing issues, we also can't
> provide mp3 stuff)
>
> > - wine from winehq
> {In KBS extras)
>
> Using 3rd party repos is not bad, they just have to be used wisely with
> the tools that yum already provides.  (includepkgs, exclude, enable ...
> and/or the protectbase plugin)

BTW, we don't do these things in a bubble either ... Jim Perrin
(Evolution in IRC), Karanbir Singh (z00dax in IRC), Ignacio Vazquez-
Abrams (ignacio in IRC), Pasi Pirhonen (blahee in IRC) and me (hughesjr
in IRC) all work together to make the extras and centosplus repos work
for CentOS 4.  There is lots of discussion and testing before things get
in there.  The Fedora Extras stuff is not in there specifically because
of the testing we require and we don't think it is quite stable enough
(or has enough lifetime support).  When something makes it into the
Extras and/or CentOS Plus ... we are committing to maintaining it for
the lifetime of CentOS 4.  That is not someplace we can afford to bring
stuff that we aren't sure will continue to be maintained.

Throw in Seth Vidal (skvidal in IRC), Tru Huynh(tru_tru in IRC) and
Lance Davis (lancelan in IRC) for the CentOS-3 tree extras.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes