[CentOS] Moving files to new server

Sun Mar 12 02:32:28 UTC 2006
Thomas E Dukes <edukes at alltel.net>

They should be fairly close software-wise.  Both are running CentOS 4.2.
There may be a few packages missing on the new machine such as mailscanner,
f-prot, etc.  Hardware-wise, you're looking at a P3-450, 384MB RAM and a
20GB HD v. P4-3Mhz, 1GB RAM and 80GB HD.

I think the 'fresh' install of CentOS created an LVM filesystem which I
don't have on the old machine.  I copied /etc passwd, groups, shadow and
gshadow as you suggested in a previous post about a week ago.  That worked
fine.  I copied /home, /var, /root using rsync -avz.  I think /etc got me,
specifically /etc/fstsb.  I made a copy of fstab on the new machine but it
wouldn't let me copy back over it after the transfer.  I'll be sure not to
do that again.  But I'm going to need /etc/httpd, /etc/sendmail, etc, etc,
etc...  (no pun intended).

The system is still d/l 4.2 updates so I may have to continue this in the
AM.  That will be a good stopping point for today.  Been at this since noon
and I'm whipped.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!