[CentOS] Centosplus & CentOS Extras, Enlarge your tent

Sun Mar 12 14:14:23 UTC 2006
Jim Smith <jim_smith2006 at yahoo.com>

--- Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> To drag this thread back kicking and screaming to topic....
>
> This is the mindset I've been operating with
>
> 1. Core packages will NOT be modified except by rpms in centosplus.
> 2. Packages in centosplus will provide more recent versions of core
> packages, such as php5, mysql5, rdesktop etc, or added
> functionality
> such as postfix with mysql and postgresql support.
> 3. Packages included in centosplus should be of sufficient quality
> that maintaining them over the lifespan of centos won't generate
> overly rapid change, or instability.
> 4. Packages will not be duplicated across cooperating repos. If dag
> has an older version, report it, or submit an update for inclusion.
> There's nothing that says you can't help out. If something in
> Kbs-Extras doesn't mesh, same deal. Centos is a 'community' based
> distribution. You're part of the community, kbs and dag are
> neighbors.

On the subject of stability & built to work for CentOS :-
- the rpms at http://www.winehq.com/site/download-rh
(wine-0.9.2-1centos4winehq.src.rpm) do just that. There is no need to
blindly follow the fedora rebuilds, 0.9.8 and 0.9.9 if the official
wine rpms work as intended. The same goes for winetools (not
wine-tools in fedora/kbs-extras)

WineTools http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/ - WineTools is
a menu driven installer for installing Windows programs. This
software lets you install the following Windows software: DCOM98,
IE6, Windows Core Fonts, Windows System Software, Office & Office
Viewer, Adobe Photoshop 7, Illustrator 9 and many other programs.

Jim, if you maintain extras then tell me the need for you having apt,
apt-devel & synaptic ; rpmforge having their versions (it would
overwrite the extras one) and KBS which does not support apt having
their own which would overwrite the extras & rpmforge ones.

The problem with some of the 3rd party repos that overwrite system
files, (look at the example i gave of one repo even wanting to
overwrite selinux) is that the maintainers live in a cuckoo world and
do not respond to feedback. What is the point of replacing core
system files if all you need is mythtv?

Fedora is fedora. CentOS is CentOS. What is the purpose of a
fedoralized CentOS?