[CentOS] mail/access revisited

Sun Mar 12 21:53:49 UTC 2006
Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>

Will McDonald wrote:
> On 12/03/06, Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net> wrote:
>
>>  A while back, I posted a note asking if anyone had any ideas why the
>> /etc/mail/access file was not being parsed or utilized in the efforts to
>> stop spam and junk mail.  I just looked over things again, and have still
>> not found any reason why it still permits the TLD's I have listed to pass
>> thru.  I also thought perhaps there might be some "upper limit" to the
>> number of entries sendmail could handle.  What do the sendmail guru's think
>> about that idea?  I may reduce the number of entries from the current 275
>> +/- down to just the most offensive TLD's and see what happens.  Short of
>> that, are there any other thoughts ya'll might have as to why it still
>> passes the stuff I want blocked?
>>

> I don't know the ins-and-outs of Sendmail access well but does it base
> its decision purely on the "From" address, which as we all know isn't
> necessarily where a message originates. Or could it be basing the
> access decision on the initial Received: from address, and/or that
> addresses reverse lookup, in the header?
>
> In which case, a spam could originate from mail.blah.com and access
> would accept it but the message itself would appear to come from
> spammers at domain.ru. You'd accept the message inspite of having .ru
> denied in your access.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Will.

As far as I know Will, sendmail looks at the access database, and will
not allow a connection from the sending host if that particular IP or
hostname happens to be in there.  The access list *used* to work, but as
I mentioned, I'm wondering if perhaps I've hit an upper limit or
exceeded a limit where nothing in there is being parsed now.  I don't go
by hostname when blocking.   I look at the sending host IP and block
that.  Headers from sendmail tell who or what connected to the port or
tried to connect.

Sam