[CentOS] mail/access revisited

Sun Mar 12 22:49:21 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 16:33, Craig White wrote:

> > As far as I know Will, sendmail looks at the access database, and will
> > not allow a connection from the sending host if that particular IP or
> > hostname happens to be in there.  The access list *used* to work, but as
> > I mentioned, I'm wondering if perhaps I've hit an upper limit or
> > exceeded a limit where nothing in there is being parsed now.  I don't go
> > by hostname when blocking.   I look at the sending host IP and block
> > that.  Headers from sendmail tell who or what connected to the port or
> > tried to connect.
> ----
> it does if you use REJECT
>
> it also does things like ALLOW
>
> and things like RELAY
>
> I have never had a sendmail 'access' file with more than a few lines and
> I don't think that it was actually intended to be a spam filter. There
> are other very good methodologies for managing spam and sendmail is
> quite capable of using them.

I don't think there is a size limit - it is just a normal dbm file.
There are some sendmail configuration options that must
be set to activate it, and it might be particular about
ownership/permissions on the file:
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/chk-89f.html#ACCESS_DB
There are some recent additions to functionality in the
access file with tagged entries:
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/chk-810.html#810TagLHS
but if the tag is omitted it works as before.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com