[CentOS] Centosplus & CentOS Extras, Enlarge your tent , Cuckoo repos

Mon Mar 13 17:07:17 UTC 2006
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Monday 13 March 2006 11:38, Jim Smith wrote:
> --- Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
> > But it is rude and off-base, in my opinion, to call a dedicated
> > third-party
> > packager 'cuckoo' simply because they do it differently, or because

> Not cuckoo repos, don't misquote me- THEIR DEVELOPERS ARE LIVING
> IN A CUCKOO WORLD & they do not respond to feedback nor work with
> other developers. This is why you have apt, apt-devel and synaptic
> in all the repos.

Who is 'they'?  Your original statement was "The problem with some of the 3rd
party repos that overwrite system files, (look at the example i gave of one
repo even wanting to overwrite selinux) is that the maintainers live in a
cuckoo world and do not respond to feedback."  If you are talking about the
maintainers of the repos, then I did not misquote you.

> You cannot have your cake and eat it.

No, but I CAN have my Kstars and CentOS too.  And it works, as long as I am
careful and take responsibility for my own /etc/yum.repos.d.

> What will happen when the
> stuff in the Fedoralized repo begins to churn out FC5 stuff?

Then I will deal with that when and if it happens.  Been there, done that.
Have the changelog entries in the PostgreSQL spec file to prove it.

> If you
> want fedora stick to fedora. If you want a stable enterprise distro
> go for RHEL/CentOS.

The choice is not either/or, nor is it black/white.  There is a continuum of
choice that the third party repos provide, as long as you take responsibility
for mixing.  'You' in this case being the admin of the system; the third part
repo maintainers are simply providing what they want to provide, and are
answerable only to themselves.

If you are paying someone to do the support, then you can hold them
accountable; like if you were running Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  If you are
not paying them for support, then you are accountable for your own system.

> Have you run wine/winetools from winehq.com versus the fedoralized
> one? Which one works and which one doesn't?

I use CrossOver; wouldn't know about the others.

Karanbir advertises his repo as a Fedora Extras rebuild; nothing more, nothing
less.  This is what he wants to provide, and what he is providing.  If that
doesn't meet your need, either find someone else's repo that does or make
your own repo.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology