[CentOS] Re: centos] OT: routing between eth0 and ppp0 WITHOUT NAT

Mon Mar 13 17:43:23 UTC 2006
James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com>

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 10:29 -0500, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, James Pifer wrote:
>
> > Sorry to post this here, but since last week I've posted to Fedora's
> > mailing list, pptp-devel's list, and linuxgeneral forum. No one has
>
> > On a Fedora Core 3 machine
> > 	1) running pptpclient
> > 	2) pptpclient is configured to do "LAN to LAN"
> > 	3) machine set to act as a router:
> > 	   /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is set to 1
> >
> > After I make the pptp connection I do: iptables -F
>
> I think I would first disable iptables to get it out of
> the mix - as root:
>
>  	/sbin/service iptables stop && /sbin/service iptables save
>  	/sbin/chkconfig iptables off
>
> and then want to see the ip assignments and routes when you
> think you have it runningL
>
>  	netstat -rn
>
> on the Linux side, and a statement of what the remote IP and
> destination subnet and mask are.

One more thing as an addendum to the last post. If I run tcpdump on the
machine on the remote side of the vpn I never see the echo request come
in. So it's more than just a return route problem.

As I see it, the problem is either on the FC3 machine not properly
routing, or the VPN device is not properly handling it. Not sure how to
really determine which is the culprit.

James