[CentOS] IRC invite -- was: OT: routing between eth0 and ppp0 WITHOUT NAT

Mon Mar 13 20:41:17 UTC 2006
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, James Pifer wrote:

>> As I see it, the problem is either on the FC3 machine not properly
>> routing, or the VPN device is not properly handling it. Not sure how to
>> really determine which is the culprit.

> Thanks for the help. Looks like the problem is on the VPN switch. It
> can't do the routing like I want it to do. It wants to do a branch

No problem, James - sometimes talking and working through a
problem from the bottom up exposes wheere things are falling
apart.

For those who are still following this thread, this approach
-- of guided questions which help the admin of a box think and
diagnose analytically, and to grow as a sysadmin -- is the
approach of the Centos IRC channel #centos, on
irc.freenode.net

  ... from the /topic of the channel ...

We are pretty careful to encourage research in posing
questions there:
 	How to ASK a question:  http://tinyurl.com/anel

We try to keep the Signal to Noise ratio up pretty high
(*cough* see contra., #linux, #fedora, #debian), by
encouraging the use of out-of-channel collaborative debugging
tools:
 	Use a pastebin http://pastebin.com

We try to stay close to 'on topic' and do not usually attempt
to support packages or issues outside of the upstream PNAELV's
packages:
 	http://www.pnaelv.com/

and best of all ...

We have a pretty good floorshow for the price (i.e., 'free')
-- the trout award spoons to people who 'spoonfeed' answers.

All of the channel operators are well known names to this
mailing list and the centos project, chosen in part because
they have shown sustained skills and good judgment in the
CentOS problemspace.

-- Russ Herrold