[CentOS] ATI X300 on CentOS 4

Wed Mar 15 15:11:30 UTC 2006
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com>

On Tue, 2006-14-03 at 16:51 -0800, centos at 911networks.com wrote:
> CentOS 4.2 does NOT work with ATI! Period! not x86-64 and x86.. X
> is completely screwed up. I hope that this will be fixed with
> 4.3. I had to switch to an nVidia card that works perfectly.

Yeah, that's what I'm discovering.  I wish I had heard these reports
earlier before slapping an ATI card in.

Switching to another card, such as one from nvidia, is an option of last
resort.

> This is not just CentOS, it's X. I had the same problem with
> Ubuntu, but SuSE worked perfectly without any problem, they have
> newer drivers.

Ok.  Good to know.

> I tried with the drivers from X and from ATI, same.
>
> If you can live with it, you can edit Xorg.conf and change the
> driver to VESA, but it's ugly.

Yep, that's what I'm going to do.  Degraded 2D performance isn't a
problem.  It's a server, so reliability is more important for me.

Thanks for replying.

Regards,

Ranbir

--