[CentOS] RedHat 7.3 or Centos 2.1

Thu Mar 16 13:04:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 06:36 -0500, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> Oliver Schulze L. wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a server that have an aplication that runs on RH7.3
> > and in Centos 2.1
> >
> > Currently, it runs RH7.3 with yum updates from fedora-legacy
> >
> > My question is, should I update to Centos 2.1 or stay in RH7.3?
> > What are my advantages of migrating to Centos 2.1?
> >
> > My concern are more about security updates in the next 2 years.

It depends ... according the upstream provider, there will be official
2.1 security updates until May 31, 2009

> Have you tried running your application on CentOS 3.6 or 4.2?  If it's a
> binary-only application, it should still continue to work if you install
> the compatibility libraries.  That's likely a much safer choice if you
> want timely updates for the next 2 years and you get the benefit of more
> current tools/kernels/etc.  I wasn't even aware that 7.3 was still
> officially supported....

Fedora Legacy is not official support ...  I have no idea when they will
stop support for 7.3 (They removed support for 7.1, 7.2 and 8
already ... but they did standardize on 7.3 and 9 {which is
understandable})

I would think that CentOS 2.1 would be the more secure way to go ... but
the 7.3 tree for Fedora Legacy seems to be fairly active too.  If I was
doing the deciding, I would use CentOS-2, as there is a sure stream of
updates to May 2009.