[CentOS] Printing from apps as a regular user...

Thu Mar 16 14:09:36 UTC 2006
lnthai2002 at aim.com <lnthai2002 at aim.com>

Where there's will, there's a way

-----Original Message-----
From: Jose Alburquerque <jaalburquerque at cox.net>
Sent: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:38:13 -0500
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Printing from apps as a regular user...

 lnthai2002 at aim.com wrote:

  > Most application use lpr to send print job to print server. lpr is
not > a program actually, it is just a symlink to lpr.cups. Some
application > does not use lpr but lp instead. For example, acroreader
use lp on my > system by default. Since it can not find lp or lp.cups,
acroread cant > print. To make it print, you have 2 options: create a
symlink called > lp in /usr/bin pointing to /usr/bin/lpr.cups or tell
the application > to use lpr instead of lp. Hope it help
 > Thai

  Thanks for the reply; great info. However, I checked in /usr/bin and
there is already an 'lp' command there:

 [jose at sweety ~]$ ll /usr/bin/lp
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Mar 6 2005 /usr/bin/lp ->
/etc/alternatives/print-lp*

  Also, why would printing from apps like firefox or ggv work for one
user and fail for another? Thanks again.

Sorry for my misunderstanding, i though you have problem in priniting
by some application. If the application fails to print for some users,
maybe these users do not have right to use the printer. By default, all
users are assigned to group "users" when created. This group has
sufficient right to do many basic tasks including printing. Try to add
the user that need to use the printer to group "users" if the problem
is still persist, add that user to group "lp".
One more thing, you should check where /usr/bin/lp actually poiting to:
 /usr/sbin/alternatives --display print
the lp command is a symlink to a symlink in this case. Make sure that
it end up using lp.cups
Good luck
Thai