[CentOS] SMART for SATA devices ?

Thu Mar 16 20:48:21 UTC 2006
Ken Key <key-centos at ksquared.net>

 > Message: 2
 > Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:03:41 +0100
 > From: Peter Kjellstr?m <cap at nsc.liu.se>
 > Subject: Re: [CentOS] SMART for SATA devices ?
 >
 > On Tuesday 14 March 2006 12:46, Bards1888 wrote:
 >> Peter Kjellström wrote:

 >>> It seems we will need a new smartmontools (I don't know if that's
included
 >>> in 4.3) even if 2.6.9-34 now supports it:
 >>>
 >>> /Peter

 >> Same here.
 >>
 >> I notice that 'smartd' itself is packaged with kernel-utils and not
 >> smartmontools as I'd have expected.  Does that suggest that we won't be
 >> able to use smart for sata until kernel-utils is also updated ?
 >
 > That would probably be the correct conclusion, but if redhat does
intend to
 > support smart for libata then a new kernel-utils package will be part
of 4.3.

[sorry to jump into this late - I'm on the digest and am behind
in my reading.  I did not see an answer in later digests yet ]

FYI, you can use the '-d ata' option to smartctl to talk to your
SATA devices with the -34 kernel.  I've been doing this with a 2.6.15.4
kernel, but back-reved to 2.6.9-34 to test this and was successful.
So if you edit your /etc/smartd.conf, you can have a line like:

/dev/sda -d ata -H -m root at localhost.localdomain

and you interactively do:

  smartctl -d ata -a /dev/sda

Regards,