[CentOS] Help. Failed event on md1

Fri Mar 17 06:32:08 UTC 2006
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 14 March 2006 02:47 pm, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > > On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > > If this is a normal SCSI disk (ie. not SATA), I would use smartctl to
> > > check if this disk has errors.
> >
> > It is a SATA disks :(
> > So, when I run smartd, it says that currently it doesn't support SATA.
>
> When you can bring the machine down, you might want to boot a recent
> kernel (>= 2.6.15) and test the disk with smartctl. (knoppix probably will
> not work, but a recent live-cd that has 2.6.15 and smartctl).
>
> FC4 with the 2.6.15 kernel worked. You'll probably have to wait until EL5
> for smartctl libata support in CentOS.

As has emerged from the '[CentOS] SMART for SATA devices ?' thread, the
just released 2.6.9-34 kernel that ships with EL4 U3 supports smart over
libata (Red Hat backported this from 2.6.15) by using something like:

	smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sda

I'm mentioning it here for future Google reference :)

Kind regards,