[CentOS] Postfix + MySQL + IMAP + Squirrelmail + Virtual Domains + Web Management.

Fri Mar 17 20:38:28 UTC 2006
Brent DiNicola <centos at elric.net>

Matt Hyclak wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 02:08:18PM -0600, Johnny Hughes enlightened us:
>
>> My How-to doesn't cover Courier because it has it's own special mailbox
>> format and does not use normal Linux users.  Dovecot does use normal
>> Linux users and the standard maildir format.
>>

> I think you mean Cyrus. Courier can use regular linux users with authpam,
> authpasswd, or authshadow. It uses the Maildir++ format which extends the
> standard Maildir, but is completely interchangable. See
> http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/README.maildirquota.html
>
> Matt

This was my confusion also, learning the Cyrus/Courier
differences. Many of the How-To I found used Cyrus but
I could also find many who said Cyrus was evil. In
trying to see what it was doing right or wrong when trying to
do the setup and I would say it was cryptic at best to me.

As a side, I meant no disrespect for what you left out of your
How-To Johnny, I think I found a response as to why you did
it in answer somewhere else and that seemed reasonable. I do
suppose the only true way to make this work.. is to learn each
piece and make it work for me instead of hoping for a step by
step to get me going quicker. Sometimes it's just nice to be a
bit lazy with the new things, it's quite a deal going from Sendmail
to something else as it is :)

Thanks.

Brent

--