[CentOS] Safety

Mon Mar 20 15:52:30 UTC 2006
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Sam Drinkard wrote:
> My server has not yet been updated with all the goodies and is still a
> stock 4.2 installation.  What is the consensus about remote updating?
> Would it be better if I were to physically be there and do it or are
> things stable enough that I could do it remotely and then reboot.
> It's kind of a PITA to have to go downtown to the C0-LO site, but can
> be done.

It's pretty safe to do remotely if your machine is already known to come
right back up from a remote reboot.  Unless there are some really
critical vulnerabilities, I normally wait a few days before remote
application to see if anyone else stumbles into any show stoppers.
We've been remotely updating our 4.2 boxes without incident.

Cheers,