[CentOS] Reliable Athlon 64 motherboards

Tue Mar 21 16:29:01 UTC 2006
Jeremy Sanders <jss at ast.cam.ac.uk>

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Jay Lee wrote:

> We have been happy with the Giga-byte K8N51GMF-9 and the ASUS A8N-VM CSM.  A
> few things:
>
>    -Have you run Memtest86 to verify that you don't have bad RAM?  Let it
> run overnight for a few passes to verify absolute stability

Yes - no obvious problem on either. I ran a repeated mozilla build on the
K8NGM2-FID, copying large files across the network, and it worked fine for
days. It then oopsed when it wasn't doing anything, twice!

>    -Have you run Prime95 to verify your CPU isn't bad or overheating?

No - good idea.

> Again, let it run overnight to verify your CPU is being cooled proper, also
> keep the case closed.
>    -Have you made certain there's not an issue with the Network switch?

Pretty sure. It failed across a managed switch and an unmanaged one. Other
e1000/e100 computers work fine with both switches.

The Asus A8V-E SE is extremely easy to make fail. There is even data
corruption with an e100 card.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jss at ast.cam.ac.uk>   http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/
X-Ray Group, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, UK.