[CentOS] lphdisk and kickstart partitioning - laptop install

Tue Mar 21 18:06:44 UTC 2006

At 11:26 AM 3/21/2006, Matt Hyclak wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:29:53AM -0600, Robert Moskowitz enlightened us:
> > At 10:43 PM 3/20/2006, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> > >On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:40:26PM -0600, Robert Moskowitz enlightened us:

> > >I would suggest reading the documentation about kickstart, not just
> > >guessing.
> > >http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysad
> min-guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html
> >
> > I have spent hours reading this and trying to read 'between the
> > lines' already, before I asked here...
> >

>There's nothing between the lines to read.

And not enough is there to really be effective in using the
technology.  Just the basics.

> > >You'll notice the listing of valid fstype options, none of which are a0.
> >
> > yes.  that is why I turned to asking.
> >

>It's plainly stated what the options to fstype are. I'm not sure what there
>was to ask.

And how do you set other types? I could boot with a ghost 9 rescue CD
(which I did not bring with me) and edit the partition table.  But is
there a Linux tool to do this?

> > >I would recommend looking to %pre or %post sections to format the right
> > >partition type for you with the native tools.
> >
> > Fine. I am even willing to run it completely after the install.  But
> > what do I do for creating the partition?   Do I just do a dummy mount
> > point like /suspend  ?  An fstype of ext3?  And how do I specify a
> > primary partition (and do primaries have to come before ext3
> > partitions?  Have not found text on this.)
> >
> > And then use some other tool ????  that will remove the mount point
> > and change the fstype to a0 before running lphdisk?
> >
> > Or do I leave part of the disk not in a partition and use some other
> > tool to prepare the partition for lphdisk?
>
>Either way would work. Don't confuse partition types and filesystem types.
>Primary partitions are one thing, ext3 filesystem on a partition is another.

oh, so a0 is a partition type.  What IS the partition type that Linux
makes for its boot, swap, and EXT3 filesystems?  How do I see this
without something like Ghost recovery?

>You get 4 primary partitions, if you want more partitions than that, then
>one primary partition has to be an extended partition in which you create
>the other 12 logical partitions. You can put ext3 on any of these. This is
>basic DOS stuff.

I have seen this, and it looks like I will have to use LVM:

/boot
/
/home
Suspend
Swap

So I would have to put / and /home into the LVM partition...

>I'd have to check to make sure, but I'm willing to bet that parted is
>available during the kickstart.

Well the kickstart command is part:

part /boot --fstype ext3 --size 100
part / --fstype ext3 --size 10240 --grow
part /home --fstype ext3 --size 25600
part swap --size 2048

>I would probably use that to take care of
>creating your partition in the %pre section of kickstart, then let the
>kickstart disk management stuff use the rest of the disk. There are other
>ways to skin the cat, a couple of which you have mentioned.

http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-sag-en-4/s1-kickstart2-preinstallconfig.html

if [ $numhd == "2" ] ; then
   #2 drives
   echo "#partitioning scheme generated in %pre for 2 drives" >
/tmp/part-include
   echo "clearpart --all" >> /tmp/part-include
   echo "part /boot --fstype ext3 --size 75 --ondisk hda" >> /tmp/part-include
   echo "part / --fstype ext3 --size 1 --grow --ondisk hda" >>
/tmp/part-include
   echo "part swap --recommended --ondisk $drive1" >> /tmp/part-include
   echo "part /home --fstype ext3 --size 1 --grow --ondisk hdb" >>
/tmp/part-include
else
   #1 drive
   echo "#partitioning scheme generated in %pre for 1 drive" >
/tmp/part-include
   echo "clearpart --all" >> /tmp/part-include
   echo "part /boot --fstype ext3 --size 75" >> /tmp/part-includ
   echo "part swap --recommended" >> /tmp/part-include
   echo "part / --fstype ext3 --size 2048" >> /tmp/part-include
   echo "part /home --fstype ext3 --size 2048 --grow" >> /tmp/part-include
fi

Does not look any different in terms of part commands than you can
put into kickstart.  Just the logic to take advantage of it all.
I **AM** reading as much as I can find, but I am not finding enough
of what I need....

Barrs Law of Recursive futility
         If you're smart enough to use one of these....
                 .....you can probably manage without one!