[CentOS] dovecot vs Cyrus-Imapd

Fri Mar 24 23:30:47 UTC 2006
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com>

On Fri, 2006-24-03 at 17:14 -0600, Bob Pierce wrote:
> Does anybody have any advice or opinions about which of these two
> packages would be better for a large installation. I'd prefer if the
> package could tie into MySQL for user authentication, and all mailboxes
> will be virtual in the sense that they won't have local system accounts.

I've read on numerous occasions that Cyrus-Imapd will scale better than
Dovecot.  I have have not, however, read any hard numbers comparing
performance between the two.  Yeah, that was useless. :)

I love Dovecot because it's incredibly easy to setup and maintain.  I
personally haven't had to roll it out to large sites yet, so I've stuck
with it.  Also, it's been handling email boxes with several hundred
megabytes of email with ease.  A lot of that great performance is coming
from the Maildir setup I use, I'm sure.

Anyway, either one of them might work for you.  It really depends on how
the system would be used, the type of hardware it's going to be
installed on, etc.  I suggest you try out both - for 10,000 users,
you'll HAVE to do a lot of testing anyway.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu