[CentOS] Advice on upgrading packages

Sun Mar 26 15:44:17 UTC 2006
Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at cbn.net.id>

On Sunday 26 March 2006 09:52 pm, William L. Maltby wrote:
> Yes, exactly. First, use the mailing list archives and search for
> postings related/time-of 4.2 update and see what problems folks had and
> how they solved them. I did that *at-the-time* and had no problems
> (maybe just lucky, but I did integrate all that information into my
> process). No one here will be able (or want to) regurgitate all the good
> information contained in the archives. Like school, homework helps the
> learning process.
>
> A personal suggestion: break the updates into small chunks, based on
> date, and install all or part of them, wait a few days to see if things
> are stable. If so, apply the next chunk. The reason for this is problem
> isolation and reduction of risk caused by "massiveness". Recent
> complaints include folks having yum fail to complete properly and they
> are left with substantial effort to back out and re-do.
>
> Third suggestion:, as Craig states, the reason for using an enterprise-
> class is timeliness, among other things. Keep current. Use good
> procedures to either enable quick back-out/recovery (2nd choice, but
> needed regardless) or do at least minimal (but exhaustive (semi?) is
> preferable) testing before installation. Actually both are desirable.
> As Craig stated, risk from security vulnerabilities *probably* is higher
> than risk from updates *if* you are doing things "The Right Wayz" (TM).

Using a test bed machine is what I used to do. Usually I do that on my
notebook, whereas it resembles my current production server. However, since I
migrate all my servers from FC4 to Centos4.2, I still haven't got any test
machine yet, the notebook is still on FC4.

I guess, I'll make a dual boot on the notebook between FC5 and Centos4.2 soon.
Thanks, I'll research into the list archive. Luckily I've never deleted any
list emails that I subscribe. :)

http://linux2.arinet.org
22:44:13 up 39 min, 2.6.15-1.1830_FC4 GNU/Linux