[CentOS] installation via telnet

Sun Mar 26 20:20:40 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 13:30 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 14:06 -0500, Dave wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Is it possible to do a telnet installation of centos 4.x? When i was using
> > fc3 that was doable with a command at the boot prompt like:
> > telnet ip=address netmask=mask gateway=address ksdevice=/dev/eth0
> > this works now, i.e. the box's ip comes up on the network, pinging it works,
> > but a telnet connection from another unix box immediately gets a connection
> > closed by foreign host msg and all further atempts are refused.
> >     Thanks.
> > Dave.
> >

> In theory, that should work ... let me test it.

OK ... here is what I found.  That caused the install to continue ...
but not through the telnet session. (on the machine in question, the
install continued)

Looking here ... it says you also need to pass in this switch:

text

(if not the GUI install happens)

-------------------

After doing that ... it still did not work for me ... I also tried with
nofb switch.

I decided to try the same options via a RHEL 4 U3 kernel and initrd.img
and see if it worked ... it did not.

So whatever the issue is, it is consistent between CentOS and the
upstream product too.

You can do an VNC install, see this page for details:
http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2005/06/15/p35

Here is a good page that shows the options:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaIsoLinux0ptions

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes