[CentOS] dovecot vs Cyrus-Imapd

Mon Mar 27 04:29:48 UTC 2006
jean-sebastien Hubert <security at air-austral.com>

Craig White wrote:

>On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 17:14 -0600, Bob Pierce wrote:
>

>>I'm just preparing to build a new mail server for use at an ISP handling
>>over 10,000 mailboxes and several domains.
>>
>>We're currently using Qmail, but we'd like to move away from that since
>>we have now changed our inbound mail systems over to Postfix.
>>
>>Postfix will be receiving the mail, and I'm trying to decide between
>>Dovecot and Cyrus-Imapd for the POP & IMAP service.
>>
>>Does anybody have any advice or opinions about which of these two
>>packages would be better for a large installation. I'd prefer if the
>>package could tie into MySQL for user authentication, and all mailboxes
>>will be virtual in the sense that they won't have local system accounts.
>>

>-----
>personally, I would use cyrus - in fact, on that scale, I think you
>would be making a mistake not to use cyrus or courier.
>
>I would also use LDAP and not mysql as LDAP scales to multiple systems
>in case you actually try to do more sophisticated things such as
>multiple data stores on different systems and integrating into CentOS
>for things like Postfix is simple whereas you are going to have to get
>or do a rebuild to make it work with MySQL.
>
>LDAP, cyrus-imapd and postfix are a perfect combination for virtual
>users...MySQL is a bad idea.
>
>Craig

I agree too,
And sometimes, MySQL "hang" because the number of simultaneous
connexions is limited (you can increase them but for 10000 accounts you
will have some problems).
It's a far better idea to use LDAP .. with Cyrus-imap of course.
And last thing: a server with high performances in read/write ... We
install cyrus-imap on  a Proliant without  write cache (you need
a battery to activate it):
big mistake !