[CentOS] Python in Centos 4

Mon Mar 27 22:12:03 UTC 2006
Steve Bergman <steve at rueb.com>

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 00:38 +0300, Kari Salovaara wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I should upgrade Python to 2.4.x due some application needs so. At the
>>moment version is 2.3.4.
>>What do I blow out if I uninstall present version and compile new
>>version manually ?
>>
>>Many thanks in advance,
>>Kari
>>

>Everything ... :)

I have the same problem.  I'm targetting TurboGears as my next
development platform.  And while TG does support 2.3, as a TG user you
are definitely treated as a second class citizen if you are running
2.3.  Best to have Python 2.4.

If you have an app that has a requirement for 2.4, and still want to use
a stable distro like CentOS, it's best to set up a pyvault repository
config, temporarily enable it, and install the 2.4 version and other
packages that you need.

It installs into /usr/lib/python2.4.

You'll then have to figure out how to call the right binary when
appropriate.  I can't remember exactly what I did.  The python binary
that I call to run TG is in /opt/bin.  It is a link to
/usr/bin/python2.4.  To be honest, I can't remember how
/usr/bin/python2.4 got there.  The rpm may have installed it.  Or I
might have done something to put it there.  It was very late at night
when I installed it and I don't want to steer you wrong.  (Back up your
current /usr/bin/python before installing the pyvault rpm.)

An advantage to all this is that your live python install remains pristine.

While I applaud the RedHat folks for their choice of python for the
infrastructure, it is both a curse and a blessing for the users.

-Steve