[CentOS] Re: Extremely slow disk transfers with SATA disks

Tue Mar 28 00:44:07 UTC 2006
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Vanja Hrustic spake the following on 3/23/2006 6:53 AM:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:44:09 -0500
> Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com> wrote:
>
>> Vanja Hrustic wrote:
>>> I have installed CentOS 4.2, recently, on new computer.
>>>
>>> Everything seemed to work fine.
>>>
>>> However, we've found out that disk transfers are incredibly slow,
>>> and I just can't figure out what to do in order to fix it.
>>>
>>> Computer is now running CentOS 4.3 (updated it 1 hour ago), and same
>>> thing is still present. I hoped kernel upgrade might fix it, but it
>>> didn't.
>>>
>> I am having similar issues with an Intel 845 based board.   It sounds
>> like your disks are running in PIO rather than in UDMA mode.
>
> Erm, if I'm not wrong, SATA uses DMA 'by default', it's not something
> we can change.
>
> Thanks anyway :)
>
> Vanja
But many bios's have a pata/sata mode that can confuse the hell out of Linux.
I can't remember the specifics, but the setting should be noticeable in the
bios settings,

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and