[CentOS] SATA error

Tue Mar 28 12:59:51 UTC 2006
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Fajar Priyanto wrote:

> On Monday 27 March 2006 09:24 pm, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > Disable DMA to see if that results in errors as well. But it seems sda has
> > uncorrectable errors.
>
> Hi Dag,
> After some researches on the net, I came upon some posting that SMART enabled
> disk will keep any error it encounters in it's log/memory. So, any in my
> case, it seems that the error was occuring in the past for quite some time
> comparing to the online hour of the disk.

That's correct. However, normally a disk is able to correct problems by
relocating the impacted sectors. In your case it was an uncorrectable
error which seems to imply the relocation failed and normally that is a
very bad sign.

I'm not sure what the caused it, but I wouldn't trust it though.
Of course it might have been a SATA driver issue that hopefully is fixed.

> Nevertheless, I reformated sda2 and also performed a double surface scan on
> it, but after half a day, it turned out to be ok. Very strange. Also
> currently it runs without any error at all. I plan to monitor it for a couple
> of days.

sda2 is a partition, so I hope you meant to say sda.

Kind regards,