[CentOS] Server spontaneously rebooting under RHEL-4

Tue Mar 28 15:13:42 UTC 2006
Leonard Isham <leonard.isham at gmail.com>

On 3/28/06, Benjamin J. Weiss <benjamin at birdvet.org> wrote:
> Sorry, it's an HP/Compaq ML-530.  It didn't do this until I changed the
> OS, so I doubt that it's a BIOS issue.

[snip]

> >>I've got an RHEL-4 server (yep, I know it's not CentOS, but hey we gotta
> >>send some money RH's way to keep CentOS up and going! ) that's running
> >>Oracle 10g.  This same hardware worked just fine for over a year running
> >>RHEL-AS-2.1 and Oracle 9i.  Now we're getting spontaneous reboots when
> >>running oracle processes that eat up a bunch of resources.  I don't know
> >>where to go from here.
> >>

> >I didn't see a mention of the hardware type, but some systems have a
> >BIOS setting to reboot if the hardware doesn't detecet any "activity"
> >for a period of time.  Check for that setting and disable that
> >feature.  This may solve the issue. If not at least let you see the
> >crash if there is one.

Unless they changes since the acquisition the system has the BIOS
setting I mentioned.

You specified that this happens under a heavy load.  With the newer OS
ans Oracle the hardware may think that the server is locked up.  Or
you may actually be experiencing a lock-up and the BIOS setting causes
a reboot

P.S. Please don't top post.
--
Leonard Isham, CISSP