[CentOS] ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY & IBM Thinkpad R40

Tue Mar 28 23:30:42 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:22 -0500, Max H. wrote:
> Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> >
> > It might be, but is your screen capable of that resolution ?
> >
> > This might also (very likely, actually) be a modeline related problem.
> > In that case, you are in for some pain.
> >

> Yeah, I'm sure my screen is capable of this resolution, because the spec
> page I'm looking at is for my particular laptop model. These are specs
> directly from IBM. Technically IBM says the display is capable of
> 2048x1536 at the maximum, and 1280x1024 is listed as well.
>
> If it's going to be extremely difficult to get it working, I'm not sure
> it's worth the pain to me. Thanks.
>
> Max
> <snip>

Perhaps... After it's booted run X config and see what it'll go for?
Then you end up with somethings like this in your xorg.conf

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     16
        SubSection "Display"
          Viewport   0 0
          Depth     16
          Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

It may be that you have to boot into the lower res but can get higher
res after modules are loaded? Or modify initrd to include a needed
module?

HTH
BILL