[CentOS] system hangs on boot

Wed Mar 29 04:22:15 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 14:18 -0800, Fong Vang wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 08:47 -0800, Fong Vang wrote:
> > > I have a couple of systems here that are refusing to boot after the
> > > installation of CentOS 4.3 when done through Kickstart.  They boot
> > > fine when installed from CD.  The boot hangs after grub loads the
> > > kernel and initrd.  The cursor is still flashing. The strange thing is
> > > that the same drive containing the OS installation boots fine when
> > > moved to a slightly older system (older system uses Nacona CPU.  New
> > > system uses Irwindale CPU.  Both use the same motherboard).
> > >
> > > Any idea how to troubleshoot it at this point?  I've tried disabling
> > > USB, APIC, etc. without much luck.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > That is very strange.  One thing to look at the BIOS of the motherboard.
>
> It's very strange.  I've looked at the BIOS but nothing seem to jump
> out.  The hang is occurring too early in the boot process to tell
> what's wrong.

Might search the archives. IIRC, one poster the other day discovered
that on his particular MB, the presence of a USB header jumper caused a
problem. Probably not your situation, but the archives might inspire
some ideas. Also, strip the machine of *everything* you can and start
install and see how it goes. Turn off everything in the bios that you
can. If you get a good install, enable stuff one-by-one.

Google for your MoBo and either Fedora or CentOS 4 and maybe their are
clues there. Tech support for the MoBo may have the answer already too.
Check their forums.

HTH
Bill