[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4.3 and apt-get

Thu Mar 30 16:16:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 07:54 -0800, Ralph Alvy wrote:
> Mike Stankovic wrote:
>

> > --- Ralph Alvy <ralvy at warpmail.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I see very clearly how yum accesses the CentOS repos
> >> when I look in
> >>
> >>         /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
> >>
> >> But I don't see any equivalent file in
> >>
> >>         /etc/apt/sources.list.d
> >>
> >> All I have in that directory are list files like
> >>
> >>         dag.list
> >>         dries.list
> >>         freshrpms.list
> >>         ...etc..
> >>
> >> How does apt-get know where to look for CentOS repo
> >> stuff?
> >
> > In mine
> > $ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
> > centos.list  rpmforge.list
> >
> > Be aware though that some repos do not support apt4rpm
>
> Hmmm...I see that I have the el4 version of apt installed. So I removed it
> and then installed the centos version. That gave me a centos.list. But then
> I did an apt-get update and upgrade and found that my dag.list caused apt
> to remove my centos.list, upgrading to the el4 version of apt again. I then
> renamed centos.list.rpmsave back to centos.list. Is this a problem?

It's not a problem, per se, it's just that Dag has a newer version of
apt than the one in CentOS.  You chose to install his version, it
replaced the file.

It seems that apt-rpm development has been renewed.

CentOS will evaluate the new packages for stability and update our
packages as appropriate.  Remember, just because new packages exist does
not mean they need to be rolled into an Enterprise distribution like
CentOS.  Nor does CentOS control what packages 3rd parties decide to
use.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes