[CentOS] Has anybody recompiled Centos' default kernel on x86_64

Fri Mar 31 11:54:04 UTC 2006
Bogdan Nicolescu <bo2k2 at yahoo.com>

--- Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> > I'm trying to compile the default, 'regular',
> x86_64
> > kernel the one that comes with 4.3 in a Centos 4.3
> > x86_64 environment containig strictly default
> Centos
> > 4.3 packages.
>
> well, 2.6.9-34.EL is the kernel version included in
> 4.3 and i can
> confirm it builds fine on a centos 4.3/x86_64
> machine running 2.6.9-34.EL
>
> > Of not too much to ask, the annaconda file of a
> Centos
> > x86_64 environment that will built Centos kernel
> for
> > the x86_64 will be greatly appreciated.
>
> anaconda has nothing to do with rpm or the build
> process. so i have no
> idea what you are talking about.
>
> --
> Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219 at icq

I can confirm that it doesn't build.  One more person
can confirm the same thing.  The same exact kernel
compilation errors were in Centos 4.2.  Thread on
Centos forum discussing the problem:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3519&forum=34

An anaconda file would provide the EXACT environment
on two different machines.  Right now the problem is
in the "you say it works, and I say it doesn't work"
stage.

Right now you:

> well, 2.6.9-34.EL is the kernel version included in
> 4.3 and i can
> confirm it builds fine on a centos 4.3/x86_64
> machine running 2.6.9-34.EL

I say:

On Centos installation (no non Centos packages
installed) on an x86_64, Cento's kernel 2.6.9-34.EL
fails to compiles.  See
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3519&forum=34
on how it fails.

Either you are right and I'm wrong, or you are wrong
and I'm right.  I can provide you with the environemnt
(anaconda file)where the kernel fails to compile.  Can
you provide the environment (anaconda file) where the
kenrel can be compiled?

TIA