[CentOS] Has anybody recompiled Centos' default kernel on x86_64

Fri Mar 31 13:50:26 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

> cd /usr/src/kernel/kernel*
> make mrproper
> make [x,g]config
> ##xconfig failed, gconfig worked after installing a
> couple of packages
> ##configure the kernel
> ##save information
> make bzImage
> ##fails with the offset.h.tmp error
> ##rest of the procedure if make bzImage is successful
> make modules
> make modules_install
> make install

This is fine for the old days, but there are new methods for doing
this if you're just rebuilding the stock x86_64 kernel rpm

The short answer is->
 rpm -i kernel-2.6.9-34.src.rpm
rpmbuild -bp $BUILDDIR/SPECS/kernel.spec --target=x86_64

this will give you the patched kernel tree

edit the appropriate config in $BUILDDIR/SOURCES/config-2.6.9-34x86_64
rpmbuild -bs $BUILDDIR/SPECS/kernel.spec --target=x86_64
to rebuild the src.rpm with your changes

rpmbuild --rebuild $BUILDDIR/SRPMS/kernel-blah --target=x86_64

then install the new kernel rpms.

That's off the top of my head, there may be a typo or two, but that's
the right direction.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety''
Benjamin Franklin 1775