[CentOS] Centos 4 on Tyan S2895 with sata

Fri Mar 31 20:52:32 UTC 2006
Greg Swallow - SkyNet <gregswallow at skynetonline.ca>

Gavin Carr wrote:
> No raid, just plain 'old disks. The disks are Seagate Barracuda 7200s,
> 250G.

Maxtor had a hard drive firmware update to work with an nforce4 motherboard
that I had to do on another computer.  I had to contact them for the
firmware update, it is not online as far as I know, but this was the
Knowledgebase article about it:
http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqi
d=2685&p_created=1136595488&p_sid=ZRNfkT3i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X
2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jd
j0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0P
W52aWRpYQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Google for 'seagate nforce', and you'll find quite a few results.  Like this
one suggesting you contact Seagate for a firmware update:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=10755&st=0&p=77035&#entry77035

I've also had to jumper SATA2 drives down to SATA1 to be stable - not
Seagate, but probably the same applies.

Good luck,

Greg