[CentOS] X86_64, Groupinstall KDE fails

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon May 1 15:51:06 UTC 2006

> > create a ~/.rpmmacros file containing:
> > %_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}
>
> This one seems to come up a lot.  Should this be the default, or the
> default on all non-i386 platforms?

Should it be? Yes, however it should come from the upstream vendor as
the default. If we're trying to be 100% like upstream, then you have
to replicate the annoyances as well. It does need to be a prominently
displayed FAQ.

> A year ago, it was reasonable to assume that anyone with non-i386 hardware
> knew enough to find this trick.  I don't think this assumption is true
> now; my neighbor's 14-year-old son has a x86_64 laptop and claims to
> never have heard of AMD.

Make something idiot-proof and they'll build a better idiot. There's a
fine line between assisting people, and interfering with natural
selection.

--
This message has been double ROT13 encoded for security. Anyone other
than the intended recipient attempting to decode this message will be